Russian soldiers at Ukrainian nuclear plant – level 3
The International Atomic Energy Agency said that Russian soldiers risked a serious accident when they attempted to get control of the Chernobyl nuclear plant in Ukraine.
In February, Russian troops moved into the radioactive Chernobyl exclusion zone while they were on their way toward Kyiv, the Ukrainian capital. They withdrew last month as Russia switched its focus to fighting in eastern Ukraine.
Rafael Mariano Grossi, the chief of the agency, said that the situation was unstable at the site and nuclear authorities were on alert. Grossi thanked workers at the power plant for mitigating potential risks during the occupation, which also included moments of power disruption.
The plant is now back in Ukrainian control; however, Russian forces continue to hold the Zaporizhzhia plant in southern Ukraine, where there was fighting that damaged its training facility in early March.
You can watch the video news lower on this page.
What do you think about this news?
LEARN 3000 WORDS with NEWS IN LEVELS
News in Levels is designed to teach you 3000 words in English. Please follow the instructions
How to improve your English with News in Levels:
- Do the test at Test Languages.
- Go to your level. Go to Level 1 if you know 1-1000 words. Go to Level 2 if you know 1000-2000 words. Go to Level 3 if you know 2000-3000 words.
- Read two news articles every day.
- Read the news articles from the day before and check if you remember all new words.
- Listen to the news from today and read the text at the same time.
- Listen to the news from today without reading the text.
- Answer the question under today’s news and write the answer in the comments.