Safe Data – level 2
The four biggest wireless network operators in the US must pay a fine. The Federal Communications Commission (FCC) asked them to pay more than $200 million dollars.
The FCC says that these companies did not protect their customers´ data. They gave information about customers´ real-time locations to somebody else. The problem is that customers did not know about it.
An FCC official said that the company T-Mobile could pay the highest fine. The company could pay more than $91 million dollars. In the past, the FCC warned the companies that they must keep their customers´ data safe. However, it did not happen, and the FCC said that the companies were in trouble.
Some officials say that it is very important to keep people´s data safe. They say that it took FCC too long to punish the companies.
Difficult words: the Federal Communications Commission (a special government organization that runs all the ways that people communicate in the USA), fine (money that somebody must pay when he or she break the law), protect (to keep safe), punish (when somebody must do something unpleasant because they broke the law or did something wrong).
You can watch the original video in the Level 3 section.
What do you think about this news?
LEARN 3000 WORDS with NEWS IN LEVELS
News in Levels is designed to teach you 3000 words in English. Please follow the instructions
How to improve your English with News in Levels:
- Do the test at Test Languages.
- Go to your level. Go to Level 1 if you know 1-1000 words. Go to Level 2 if you know 1000-2000 words. Go to Level 3 if you know 2000-3000 words.
- Read two news articles every day.
- Read the news articles from the day before and check if you remember all new words.
- Listen to the news from today and read the text at the same time.
- Listen to the news from today without reading the text.
- Answer the question under today’s news and write the answer in the comments.