Safety for Animals – level 3
The US federal law bans the recording of animal torture, but there is no federal law to ban the actual torturing.
People have introduced legislation to ban it in Congress in the past, but it has never gone to the vote. Now, representative like Ted Deutch and Vern Buchanan are trying again.
The PACT Act (Preventing Animal Cruelty and Torture) would criminalise things like crushing, burning and impaling animals. Those who break the law could face fines and up to seven years in prison. The PACT would exclude things like fishing and hunting.
Difficult words: torture (make an animal feel great pain), legislation (laws), impale (spear, cut, stab with a knife).
You can watch the video news lower on this page.
What do you think about this news?
LEARN 3000 WORDS with NEWS IN LEVELS
News in Levels is designed to teach you 3000 words in English. Please follow the instructions
How to improve your English with News in Levels:
- Do the test at Test Languages.
- Go to your level. Go to Level 1 if you know 1-1000 words. Go to Level 2 if you know 1000-2000 words. Go to Level 3 if you know 2000-3000 words.
- Read two news articles every day.
- Read the news articles from the day before and check if you remember all new words.
- Listen to the news from today and read the text at the same time.
- Listen to the news from today without reading the text.
- Answer the question under today’s news and write the answer in the comments.
- Choose one person from the Skype section.
- Talk with this person. You can answer questions from Speak in Levels.
Stock images by Depositphotos