Same-sex marriage in India – level 2
India’s top court refused to allow same-sex marriage. The court said that the parliament should decide about it.
They agreed with the government and its view that the parliament should handle this issue. The decision disappointed the LGBTQ community in India. Five years ago, the court removed a law against gay relationships from the colonial times. The ruling party BJP, said that same-sex marriage doesn’t fit the traditional Indian family structure. The court’s ruling came after many petitions in the last year. Chief Justice D.Y. Chandrachud said that the court’s job is to interpret the law, not make it. He also disagreed with the government’s view that being gay is modern thing of people who are rich and live in cities.
You can watch the original video in the Level 3 section.
What should be the role of the LGBTQ community in advocating for same-sex marriage in India?
LEARN 3000 WORDS with NEWS IN LEVELS
News in Levels is designed to teach you 3000 words in English. Please follow the instructions
How to improve your English with News in Levels:
- Do the test at Test Languages.
- Go to your level. Go to Level 1 if you know 1-1000 words. Go to Level 2 if you know 1000-2000 words. Go to Level 3 if you know 2000-3000 words.
- Read two news articles every day.
- Read the news articles from the day before and check if you remember all new words.
- Listen to the news from today and read the text at the same time.
- Listen to the news from today without reading the text.
- Answer the question under today’s news and write the answer in the comments.