Samsung boss may go to jail – level 3
Samsung Electronics chairman Jay Y. Lee denies accusations of accounting fraud and stock price manipulation related to an 8-billion-dollar merger in 2015.
Prosecutors seek a five-year jail term. The trial, spanning three years, concludes on January 26. Prosecutors argue that Lee and former executives violated the Capital Markets Act to facilitate the merger, benefiting Lee at the expense of minority investors. They allege abuse of authority and extreme information imbalance. Lee insists the actions were part of normal management and aimed at transparent governance.
The defense claims the prosecution ignored crucial evidence from 106 hearings, including minority shareholders’ views and government findings. Lee’s previous bribery conviction was pardoned in 2022.
Difficult words: facilitate (to make an action or process easy or easier), bribery (giving money illegally to influence a person’s behavior), conviction (a formal declaration that someone is guilty of a criminal offense).
You can watch the video news lower on this page.
What evidence does the defense claim the prosecution ignored in the trial of Samsung Electronics chairman Jay Y. Lee?
LEARN 3000 WORDS with NEWS IN LEVELS
News in Levels is designed to teach you 3000 words in English. Please follow the instructions
How to improve your English with News in Levels:
- Do the test at Test Languages.
- Go to your level. Go to Level 1 if you know 1-1000 words. Go to Level 2 if you know 1000-2000 words. Go to Level 3 if you know 2000-3000 words.
- Read two news articles every day.
- Read the news articles from the day before and check if you remember all new words.
- Listen to the news from today and read the text at the same time.
- Listen to the news from today without reading the text.
- Answer the question under today’s news and write the answer in the comments.