Samsung’s profit – level 2
Samsung Electronics announced that its profit for the third quarter was better than expected, and it dropped by only 78%.
This is good news because the memory chip market has been going through a tough time, and now there are early signs that it might get better. Samsung’s shares went up by 3.3%, which is better than the wider market’s 1.4% increase. Some types of chips are starting to go up in price.
Samsung estimated that its profit from July to September would be about 1.79 billion dollars, which is much less than last year. But this was better than what most experts expected.
You can watch the original video in the Level 3 section.
What impact, if any, will the increase in some chip prices have on Samsung's bottom line?
LEARN 3000 WORDS with NEWS IN LEVELS
News in Levels is designed to teach you 3000 words in English. Please follow the instructions
How to improve your English with News in Levels:
- Do the test at Test Languages.
- Go to your level. Go to Level 1 if you know 1-1000 words. Go to Level 2 if you know 1000-2000 words. Go to Level 3 if you know 2000-3000 words.
- Read two news articles every day.
- Read the news articles from the day before and check if you remember all new words.
- Listen to the news from today and read the text at the same time.
- Listen to the news from today without reading the text.
- Answer the question under today’s news and write the answer in the comments.