Saving Rhinos – level 3
People banned international trade in rhino horn since 1977, but poaching and smuggling continues.
Some vets in Africa resorted to de-horning the animals in a bid to save them. This is a drastic step to stop illegal hunters, but de-horning is not detrimental, according to the WWF (World Wide Fund for Nature).
Difficult words: poach (illegally hunt or catch), smuggle (illegally move things from a country to another country), resort to (start doing something to solve a difficult situation), in a bid (in order to), drastic (extreme), detrimental (dangerous).
You can watch the video news lower on this page.
What do you think about this news?
LEARN 3000 WORDS with NEWS IN LEVELS
News in Levels is designed to teach you 3000 words in English. Please follow the instructions
How to improve your English with News in Levels:
- Do the test at Test Languages.
- Go to your level. Go to Level 1 if you know 1-1000 words. Go to Level 2 if you know 1000-2000 words. Go to Level 3 if you know 2000-3000 words.
- Read two news articles every day.
- Read the news articles from the day before and check if you remember all new words.
- Listen to the news from today and read the text at the same time.
- Listen to the news from today without reading the text.
- Answer the question under today’s news and write the answer in the comments.