Saving the oceans – level 1
Officials from more than 100 countries meet on Sunday. They sign an important treaty. The treaty helps save the oceans.
Large parts of oceans do not belong to anyone. There are no rules. Nobody protects these oceans. World’s oceans are polluted. People catch too many fish. The oceans are becoming too acidic, too. All this means that less marine life and fish are in the oceans.
For more than 15 years, countries discuss the treaty. Countries do not want to lose money. But finally, they say that it is important to save the oceans. According to the treaty, countries will protect 30% of the world’s land and sea by 2030.
You can watch the original video in the Level 3 section.
What are the main goals of the treaty for protecting the world's oceans?
LEARN 3000 WORDS with NEWS IN LEVELS
News in Levels is designed to teach you 3000 words in English. Please follow the instructions
How to improve your English with News in Levels:
- Do the test at Test Languages.
- Go to your level. Go to Level 1 if you know 1-1000 words. Go to Level 2 if you know 1000-2000 words. Go to Level 3 if you know 2000-3000 words.
- Read two news articles every day.
- Read the news articles from the day before and check if you remember all new words.
- Listen to the news from today and read the text at the same time.
- Listen to the news from today without reading the text.
- Answer the question under today’s news and write the answer in the comments.