Senegal protests – level 2
Tensions rise in Senegal as opposition leader Ousmane Sonko got two years in prison. Sonko is very popular among young people and he came third in the 2019 election.
Sonko’s supporters said that the charges were meant to stop him from running in the upcoming elections. Protests resulted in nine dead people and unrest. Many people criticize President Macky Sall. They say that he doesn’t govern the country well and he doesn’t solve the problem of unemployment.
Sonko urged Sall to publicly say that he won’t run in the next elections. The government controls social media, and Sonko’s eligibility for the 2024 election is unclear because of the charges.
Difficult words: charge (when someone formally accuses another person of something), unrest (when many people are angry and fighting), unemployment (when people don’t have work), eligibility (when someone has the right to do or get something).
You can watch the original video in the Level 3 section.
How will the current unrest in Senegal affect the 2024 election?
LEARN 3000 WORDS with NEWS IN LEVELS
News in Levels is designed to teach you 3000 words in English. Please follow the instructions
How to improve your English with News in Levels:
- Do the test at Test Languages.
- Go to your level. Go to Level 1 if you know 1-1000 words. Go to Level 2 if you know 1000-2000 words. Go to Level 3 if you know 2000-3000 words.
- Read two news articles every day.
- Read the news articles from the day before and check if you remember all new words.
- Listen to the news from today and read the text at the same time.
- Listen to the news from today without reading the text.
- Answer the question under today’s news and write the answer in the comments.