Sewage cleaners’s job time – level 3
Workers carry out and supervise emergency cleaning and repairs on Paris’s sewage system; they aren’t happy with the French government’s plan to make them work longer.
Last week, Prime Minister Elisabeth Borne announced that in 2027, the workers need to work for 43 years to get a full pension, and she said that this change was necessary to balance the accounts.
To sewer cleaners, this change is a long time because this profession is dangerous and causes physical problems. They crouch in dark tunnels filled with overflowing fecal matter and rats. The workers plan to take part in a nationwide strike on January 19, 2023, to stop the reform.
Difficult words: crouch (to bend the knees and lover the body close to the ground), fecal matter (solid remains of food that leave the body), reform (a change in a law, job, or other organizational matter).
You can watch the video news lower on this page.
What do you think about this news?
LEARN 3000 WORDS with NEWS IN LEVELS
News in Levels is designed to teach you 3000 words in English. Please follow the instructions
How to improve your English with News in Levels:
- Do the test at Test Languages.
- Go to your level. Go to Level 1 if you know 1-1000 words. Go to Level 2 if you know 1000-2000 words. Go to Level 3 if you know 2000-3000 words.
- Read two news articles every day.
- Read the news articles from the day before and check if you remember all new words.
- Listen to the news from today and read the text at the same time.
- Listen to the news from today without reading the text.
- Answer the question under today’s news and write the answer in the comments.
- Choose one person from the Skype section.
- Talk with this person. You can answer questions from Speak in Levels.
Stock images by Depositphotos