Shakira trial – level 2
Colombian pop star Shakira could go to court. A Spanish lawyer said that the singer avoided paying taxes in Spain between 2012 and 2014.
According to Spanish law, anyone who lives in the country for more than 183 days in a year, must pay taxes in Spain. The lawyer said that Shakira lived in Spain for more than 200 days in each of the three years.
The judge also said that the singer and her financial advisor tried to hide where Shakira’s money came from. They used several companies in tax havens and sent Shakira’s money there.
Shakira’s lawyer said that the singer lived in the Bahamas, but Spanish media said that she lived near Barcelona. Shakira’s husband is a FC Barcelona player Gerard Pique, and they have two children together.
Difficult words: avoid (to keep away from something), hide (to keep something in a place where other people cannot see it or know about it), tax haven (a country with low taxes where some companies put money because they do not want to pay high taxes in their own countries).
You can watch the original video in the Level 3 section.
What do you think about this news?
LEARN 3000 WORDS with NEWS IN LEVELS
News in Levels is designed to teach you 3000 words in English. Please follow the instructions
How to improve your English with News in Levels:
- Do the test at Test Languages.
- Go to your level. Go to Level 1 if you know 1-1000 words. Go to Level 2 if you know 1000-2000 words. Go to Level 3 if you know 2000-3000 words.
- Read two news articles every day.
- Read the news articles from the day before and check if you remember all new words.
- Listen to the news from today and read the text at the same time.
- Listen to the news from today without reading the text.
- Answer the question under today’s news and write the answer in the comments.