Shanghai in lockdown – level 3
China’s most populous city tightened the first stage of a two-stage lockdown, and officials asked residents to stay indoors. China’s financial hub is in one of its longest lockdowns, and two years since the start of the pandemic, streets are empty again.
The 25-million city closed bridges and tunnels which split the city in two along the Huangpu River. Residents living on the river’s eastern bank had to stay at home for four days, and on the western bank, lockdown started four days later. Officials earlier attempted to keep the city running by limiting lockdowns to certain neighborhoods or buildings; however, the city struggled to control new cases. Some residents were surprised by the restrictions, and they woke up to find a fence around their compounds.
The lockdown came at the time when the city was battling a surge in Omicron cases, which had been challenging China’s zero-COVID strategy.
You can watch the video news lower on this page.
What do you think about this news?
LEARN 3000 WORDS with NEWS IN LEVELS
News in Levels is designed to teach you 3000 words in English. Please follow the instructions
How to improve your English with News in Levels:
- Do the test at Test Languages.
- Go to your level. Go to Level 1 if you know 1-1000 words. Go to Level 2 if you know 1000-2000 words. Go to Level 3 if you know 2000-3000 words.
- Read two news articles every day.
- Read the news articles from the day before and check if you remember all new words.
- Listen to the news from today and read the text at the same time.
- Listen to the news from today without reading the text.
- Answer the question under today’s news and write the answer in the comments.