Shootings in Rio – level 3
In Rio de Janeiro, police killed 558 people between January and April this year – that is 89 more people than in the same period last year. A total of 1,534 people were killed by police in Rio in 2018.
This year’s number is the highest ever. Brazil had programs to reduce the number of police killings, but there was no money for the programs when the country faced an economic and political crisis five years ago. Since then, the number of people killed by police has increased.
The New York Times says that there is more crime because of gangs. In 2018, people elected candidates who want to allow police officers to shoot armed suspects. Rio’s governor said that these kinds of laws can help.
On the other hand, the Human Rights Watch wants to reduce police killings in Rio. It says that police killings are making the fight against crime worse because people are scared of police. Since 2015, 72 police officers were charged with homicide.
You can watch the video news lower on this page.
What do you think about this news?
LEARN 3000 WORDS with NEWS IN LEVELS
News in Levels is designed to teach you 3000 words in English. Please follow the instructions
How to improve your English with News in Levels:
- Do the test at Test Languages.
- Go to your level. Go to Level 1 if you know 1-1000 words. Go to Level 2 if you know 1000-2000 words. Go to Level 3 if you know 2000-3000 words.
- Read two news articles every day.
- Read the news articles from the day before and check if you remember all new words.
- Listen to the news from today and read the text at the same time.
- Listen to the news from today without reading the text.
- Answer the question under today’s news and write the answer in the comments.