Shootings in USA – level 2
Recent mass shootings in the USA made countries and organizations send out warnings about the country.
Venezuela and Uruguay were among the first. They warned of racism and discrimination. Japan called the USA a “gun society” and it said that there could be a gunfire incident anywhere in the USA.
Amnesty International, a human rights organization, sent out its first-ever travel advisory. It tells people to be careful when they travel anywhere in the US. It asks them to stay out of places with many people like churches and malls.
Canada, Ireland, Germany, Italy and Britain were other countries to send out some kind of warning. New Zealand has had an advisory since last year.
Difficult words: discrimination (being unfriendly or aggressive towards people who are different in some way), human rights (the idea that every person is for example free to move, to say what they think, etc.), advisory (an official document which advises people – tells them what is good to do or warns them).
You can watch the original video in the Level 3 section.
What do you think about this news?
LEARN 3000 WORDS with NEWS IN LEVELS
News in Levels is designed to teach you 3000 words in English. Please follow the instructions
How to improve your English with News in Levels:
- Do the test at Test Languages.
- Go to your level. Go to Level 1 if you know 1-1000 words. Go to Level 2 if you know 1000-2000 words. Go to Level 3 if you know 2000-3000 words.
- Read two news articles every day.
- Read the news articles from the day before and check if you remember all new words.
- Listen to the news from today and read the text at the same time.
- Listen to the news from today without reading the text.
- Answer the question under today’s news and write the answer in the comments.
- Choose one person from the Skype section.
- Talk with this person. You can answer questions from Speak in Levels.
Stock images by Depositphotos