Shootings in USA – level 3
Recent mass shootings in the USA led to more countries and organizations issuing warnings to visitors to the country.
Venezuela and Uruguay were among the first nations to warn their citizens about the risks of traveling to the US, with both warning of potential racism and discrimination.
Amnesty International, which is an organization in support of human rights, issued its first-ever travel advisory, telling people to be careful when traveling anywhere in the US. It urges them to avoid public places with large numbers of people, like churches and malls.
The Japanese government sent out a statement about the Dayton shooting, which happened earlier this month, and it called the USA a “gun society.” The statement said that Japanese residents should be aware of the potential for gunfire incidents everywhere in the US.
Canada and Ireland also warned their citizens of a number of mass shootings. Germany warned of “an increased risk of politically motivated violence.” Italy warns of periodic “serious firearms accidents,” and the UK mentions the threat of terrorist attacks but not the recent mass shootings. New Zealand has had an advisory for travelers to the US since November 2018.
In contrast, the U.S. State Department advises visitors to exercise normal precautions when visiting the country.
Difficult words: issue (send out), urge (strongly ask to do or not to do something), precaution (doing something to stop something bad from happening).
You can watch the video news lower on this page.
What do you think about this news?
LEARN 3000 WORDS with NEWS IN LEVELS
News in Levels is designed to teach you 3000 words in English. Please follow the instructions
How to improve your English with News in Levels:
- Do the test at Test Languages.
- Go to your level. Go to Level 1 if you know 1-1000 words. Go to Level 2 if you know 1000-2000 words. Go to Level 3 if you know 2000-3000 words.
- Read two news articles every day.
- Read the news articles from the day before and check if you remember all new words.
- Listen to the news from today and read the text at the same time.
- Listen to the news from today without reading the text.
- Answer the question under today’s news and write the answer in the comments.
- Choose one person from the Skype section.
- Talk with this person. You can answer questions from Speak in Levels.
Stock images by Depositphotos