Singer Sells Clothes – level 3
For the first time, the five-time Grammy winner, Janet Jackson, is cleaning out her closet and she is putting up her wedding dress and dozens of her costumes up for auction in May.
Jackson is auctioning off more than 1,000 of the costumes that she wore on stage, on tour, on red carpets, and in music videos over the past four decades to raise money for a charity.
Some of the top items up for sale include a floor-length silver coat that Jackson wore in the 1995 music video for ´Scream´ with her brother Michael Jackson. California-based Julien´s Auctions expects to sell it for up to 8,000 dollars. In addition, Jackson´s iconic key earring will be up for auction, as well as her 1956 Chevrolet Cameo which has been restored to its original condition.
Difficult words: auction (a public sale of goods or property which are sold to the person who offers the most money), charity (an organization which helps and raises money for people who are sick or poor), iconic (a thing, image, or person that is original and recognizable by many people).
You can watch the video news lower on this page.
What do you think about this news?
LEARN 3000 WORDS with NEWS IN LEVELS
News in Levels is designed to teach you 3000 words in English. Please follow the instructions
How to improve your English with News in Levels:
- Do the test at Test Languages.
- Go to your level. Go to Level 1 if you know 1-1000 words. Go to Level 2 if you know 1000-2000 words. Go to Level 3 if you know 2000-3000 words.
- Read two news articles every day.
- Read the news articles from the day before and check if you remember all new words.
- Listen to the news from today and read the text at the same time.
- Listen to the news from today without reading the text.
- Answer the question under today’s news and write the answer in the comments.