Snow in Bolivia and Peru – level 2
Last week, something unusual happened in South America when snow fell in Bolivia and Peru.
In Bolivia, temperatures dropped below zero, which created perfect conditions for snowfall. Local people were very excited about the snow because they never saw it before. They threw snowballs at each other in the streets.
The situation was similar in Peru where snow covered landscape and roads. The snow stranded cars, and people could not travel.
In both countries, snowfall is not usual, except for the mountain. Temperatures can drop to the below zero, but snow is common at elevations of more than 3,800 meters.
Difficult words: condition (the existing situation which has an impact on how something happens), stranded (when someone or something is stuck in a place, and it is not possible to leave), elevation (how high above the ground something is).
You can watch the original video in the Level 3 section.
What do you think about this news?
LEARN 3000 WORDS with NEWS IN LEVELS
News in Levels is designed to teach you 3000 words in English. Please follow the instructions
How to improve your English with News in Levels:
- Do the test at Test Languages.
- Go to your level. Go to Level 1 if you know 1-1000 words. Go to Level 2 if you know 1000-2000 words. Go to Level 3 if you know 2000-3000 words.
- Read two news articles every day.
- Read the news articles from the day before and check if you remember all new words.
- Listen to the news from today and read the text at the same time.
- Listen to the news from today without reading the text.
- Answer the question under today’s news and write the answer in the comments.