Social media and a suicide – level 2
In 2017, 14-year-old Molly Russel from London, UK, killed herself. She suffered from depression, and before her death she viewed many images and videos on social media about depression and suicide.
In the weeks before her death, Molly saved 2,100 images on Instagram about depression, self-harm, and suicide.
Last week, an official examination confirmed that social media played a role in the girl’s death. Experts confirmed that some of the images and videos were too dangerous for Molly to see, and some of her posts broke the platform’s rules.
Molly’s father spent the last four years in a fight for better Internet safety, and he was happy with the examination’s results. He said that social media made money from young people’s problems, and the situation needed to change.
You can watch the original video in the Level 3 section.
What do you think about this news?
LEARN 3000 WORDS with NEWS IN LEVELS
News in Levels is designed to teach you 3000 words in English. Please follow the instructions
How to improve your English with News in Levels:
- Do the test at Test Languages.
- Go to your level. Go to Level 1 if you know 1-1000 words. Go to Level 2 if you know 1000-2000 words. Go to Level 3 if you know 2000-3000 words.
- Read two news articles every day.
- Read the news articles from the day before and check if you remember all new words.
- Listen to the news from today and read the text at the same time.
- Listen to the news from today without reading the text.
- Answer the question under today’s news and write the answer in the comments.