Solar Eclipse – level 3
The only total solar eclipse of 2020 blinded spectators in South America on Monday.
The eclipse was visible in Chile and Argentina, and as it happened during the Southern Hemisphere’s summertime, and closer to midday, the sun was located high in the sky. Spectators eagerly awaited the event, many prepared with face masks and solar-viewing glasses. Despite the changing overcast conditions, they hoped to get the best view of the incredible celestial event. Viewers in southern Chile received about two minutes of totality, and although the sky remained overcast, the coronal ring of the total eclipse was visible.
A total solar eclipse on Earth is the result of Earth’s moon being the right distance from the planet and the right size to be able to block out the entire disk of the sun. Also, to be able to view the eclipse, the sky needs to be fairly clear.
Difficult words: spectator (a person who watches something), celestial (relating to the sky or outer space), totality (the moment of total blocking of light of the sun or moon during an eclipse), coronal ring (a white or colored circle that is seen around the sun or moon).
You can watch the video news lower on this page.
What do you think about this news?
LEARN 3000 WORDS with NEWS IN LEVELS
News in Levels is designed to teach you 3000 words in English. Please follow the instructions
How to improve your English with News in Levels:
- Do the test at Test Languages.
- Go to your level. Go to Level 1 if you know 1-1000 words. Go to Level 2 if you know 1000-2000 words. Go to Level 3 if you know 2000-3000 words.
- Read two news articles every day.
- Read the news articles from the day before and check if you remember all new words.
- Listen to the news from today and read the text at the same time.
- Listen to the news from today without reading the text.
- Answer the question under today’s news and write the answer in the comments.
- Choose one person from the Skype section.
- Talk with this person. You can answer questions from Speak in Levels.
Stock images by Depositphotos