Soldiers give woman a cake – level 1
Meri Mion is from Italy. She is 90 years old. Her birthday is last week. She gets a special cake.
Meri is 13 years old in World War II. German and US soldiers fight in Italy. It is the end of the war. Meri and her family hide on a farm. US soldiers liberate Italy. Meri’s birthday happens. Her mother bakes a birthday cake for Meri. She leaves the cake on a window. Then the cake disappears. Maybe hungry US soldiers steal the cake.
Meri gets a new cake 77 years later. US soldiers give Meri the cake. This event happens in her hometown of Vincenza.
You can watch the original video in the Level 3 section.
What do you think about this news?
LEARN 3000 WORDS with NEWS IN LEVELS
News in Levels is designed to teach you 3000 words in English. Please follow the instructions
How to improve your English with News in Levels:
- Do the test at Test Languages.
- Go to your level. Go to Level 1 if you know 1-1000 words. Go to Level 2 if you know 1000-2000 words. Go to Level 3 if you know 2000-3000 words.
- Read two news articles every day.
- Read the news articles from the day before and check if you remember all new words.
- Listen to the news from today and read the text at the same time.
- Listen to the news from today without reading the text.
- Answer the question under today’s news and write the answer in the comments.