Somalia Hotel Attack – level 2
On Sunday evening, a group of Islamists attacked a hotel in the Somali capital, Mogadishu.
First, a car exploded in front of the hotel, and then, a group of men ran inside. They started to shoot and fight with the police. The shooting lasted until the early morning hours, and police said that nine people died. Four of the dead people were the attackers. A terrorist group, al-Shabaab, said that they made the attack.
The political situation in Somalia is unstable now and there are armed groups that want to change the politics in the country. The situation got worse since December last year that was the date of elections in the country. The elections did not happen because some politicians said that the president wanted to influence the results.
Difficult words: Islamist (a person who strongly believes in Islam’s ideas and rules, and he fights for them), unstable (when something changes quickly), influence (to have an impact on something).
You can watch the original video in the Level 3 section.
What do you think about this news?
LEARN 3000 WORDS with NEWS IN LEVELS
News in Levels is designed to teach you 3000 words in English. Please follow the instructions
How to improve your English with News in Levels:
- Do the test at Test Languages.
- Go to your level. Go to Level 1 if you know 1-1000 words. Go to Level 2 if you know 1000-2000 words. Go to Level 3 if you know 2000-3000 words.
- Read two news articles every day.
- Read the news articles from the day before and check if you remember all new words.
- Listen to the news from today and read the text at the same time.
- Listen to the news from today without reading the text.
- Answer the question under today’s news and write the answer in the comments.
- Choose one person from the Skype section.
- Talk with this person. You can answer questions from Speak in Levels.
Stock images by Depositphotos