South Africa’s problems with electricity – level 3
The South African government plans to end recurring power cuts, but it could take at least a year for any changes. The state energy utility Eskom is struggling.
It implemented large power cuts last week, and it’s scheduled to do the cuts again this week.
In July, President Cyril Ramaphosa promised new measures to solve the crisis; however, Eskom’s senior official said that despite the various plans, the measures will take time to implement.
Eskom’s fleet of coal-fired power stations are aging and unreliable, and the situation brings problems for Africa’s most industrialized economy. 42 generating units, or almost 24,000 megawatts of capacity, failed last week, and some electricity facilities broke down more than once.
So far this year, Eskom has spent 451 million dollars on diesel to run emergency generators.
You can watch the video news lower on this page.
What do you think about this news?
LEARN 3000 WORDS with NEWS IN LEVELS
News in Levels is designed to teach you 3000 words in English. Please follow the instructions
How to improve your English with News in Levels:
- Do the test at Test Languages.
- Go to your level. Go to Level 1 if you know 1-1000 words. Go to Level 2 if you know 1000-2000 words. Go to Level 3 if you know 2000-3000 words.
- Read two news articles every day.
- Read the news articles from the day before and check if you remember all new words.
- Listen to the news from today and read the text at the same time.
- Listen to the news from today without reading the text.
- Answer the question under today’s news and write the answer in the comments.