South Korean Building on Fire – level 3
More than 28 people died in a fire that struck an eight-storey commercial building in Jecheon city centre in South Korea.
Firefighters say that most victims were trapped at a public bath on the second and third floors, and there are fears the death toll could rise. Many more people were injured. Firefighters believe that the fire began at the building’s parking lot.
The Olympic torch was set to pass through the city but was re-routed.
Difficult words: trapped (not able to leave), death toll (the number of people who die).
You can watch the video news lower on this page.
What do you think about this news?
LEARN 3000 WORDS with NEWS IN LEVELS
News in Levels is designed to teach you 3000 words in English. Please follow the instructions
How to improve your English with News in Levels:
- Do the test at Test Languages.
- Go to your level. Go to Level 1 if you know 1-1000 words. Go to Level 2 if you know 1000-2000 words. Go to Level 3 if you know 2000-3000 words.
- Read two news articles every day.
- Read the news articles from the day before and check if you remember all new words.
- Listen to the news from today and read the text at the same time.
- Listen to the news from today without reading the text.
- Answer the question under today’s news and write the answer in the comments.
- Choose one person from the Skype section.
- Talk with this person. You can answer questions from Speak in Levels.
Stock images by Depositphotos