Southern Europe on fire – level 3
Wildfires have ravaged nine countries in the Mediterranean region, causing the death of at least 40 people, with Algeria being the worst affected.
The northern mountainous region of Algeria reported 34 fatalities while neighboring Tunisia also battled wildfires. Italy experienced numerous wildfires in Sicily and Calabria during a severe heatwave, resulting in two deaths. Firefighters in Turkey, Croatia, Syria, Gran Canaria, and Portugal also fought against the spreading fires.
Scientist Izidine Pinto emphasized that the increasing frequency and intensity of these wildfires are directly linked to the human-induced climate emergency.
You can watch the video news lower on this page.
What measures do you think governments need to take in order to prevent or lessen the impacts of future wildfires?
LEARN 3000 WORDS with NEWS IN LEVELS
News in Levels is designed to teach you 3000 words in English. Please follow the instructions
How to improve your English with News in Levels:
- Do the test at Test Languages.
- Go to your level. Go to Level 1 if you know 1-1000 words. Go to Level 2 if you know 1000-2000 words. Go to Level 3 if you know 2000-3000 words.
- Read two news articles every day.
- Read the news articles from the day before and check if you remember all new words.
- Listen to the news from today and read the text at the same time.
- Listen to the news from today without reading the text.
- Answer the question under today’s news and write the answer in the comments.