Spain’s Catholic Church says sorry – level 2
Spain’s Catholic Church apologized to victims of sexual abuse by priests.
A recent survey that suggested that there was much more abuse across the country than people thought. The Church said that they had doubts about it. The survey found that 0.6% of just over 8,000 respondents reported that they were victims of abuse. This number rose to 1.1% when it included teachers at Catholic schools and other people. Some said that the Spanish Bishops’ Conference didn’t fully cooperate with the investigation, but they said that they were very sorry.
Over the years, there were many scandals in many countries. In Spain, where nearly 60% of the population is Catholic, it is a big problem.
Difficult words: victim (a person who is harmed or killed in a crime or accident), sexual abuse (when a person forces someone else to have sex with them), scandal (an event which makes many people angry).
You can watch the original video in the Level 3 section.
What measures has the Spanish Bishops’ Conference taken to prevent this kind of abuse in the future?
LEARN 3000 WORDS with NEWS IN LEVELS
News in Levels is designed to teach you 3000 words in English. Please follow the instructions
How to improve your English with News in Levels:
- Do the test at Test Languages.
- Go to your level. Go to Level 1 if you know 1-1000 words. Go to Level 2 if you know 1000-2000 words. Go to Level 3 if you know 2000-3000 words.
- Read two news articles every day.
- Read the news articles from the day before and check if you remember all new words.
- Listen to the news from today and read the text at the same time.
- Listen to the news from today without reading the text.
- Answer the question under today’s news and write the answer in the comments.