Sri Lanka Muslims – level 3
Sri Lanka will ban the wearing of burqas, and the country will shut down more than a thousand Islamic schools.
Children from the ages of 5 to 16 years must study in accordance with the national education policy; therefore, schools that do not adhere to it will be closed soon.
It’s the latest move from the government that will affect the country’s minority Muslim population. According to the Secretary Minister for Security, wearing burqas affected national security directly. Muslim women and girls never used to wear burqas; however, recently they came about, which the government considered to be a sign of religious extremism.
The move on burqas and schools follows last year’s order to cremate COVID-19 victims against the wishes of Muslims who bury their dead. The ban was lifted earlier this year after criticism from the US and international rights groups.
Difficult words: burqa (a piece of clothing that covers the face and body, and it is worn in public by some Muslim women), adhere (to believe in and follow the practices of something), cremate (to burn a dead person’s body, usually as part of a funeral).
You can watch the video news lower on this page.
What do you think about this news?
LEARN 3000 WORDS with NEWS IN LEVELS
News in Levels is designed to teach you 3000 words in English. Please follow the instructions
How to improve your English with News in Levels:
- Do the test at Test Languages.
- Go to your level. Go to Level 1 if you know 1-1000 words. Go to Level 2 if you know 1000-2000 words. Go to Level 3 if you know 2000-3000 words.
- Read two news articles every day.
- Read the news articles from the day before and check if you remember all new words.
- Listen to the news from today and read the text at the same time.
- Listen to the news from today without reading the text.
- Answer the question under today’s news and write the answer in the comments.
- Choose one person from the Skype section.
- Talk with this person. You can answer questions from Speak in Levels.
Stock images by Depositphotos