Sri Lanka’s president resigns – level 2
For months, people in Sri Lanka have had power, food, fuel, and money difficulties. They cannot buy things easily, and their money cannot buy very much.
Last week, so many people protested that the president went to another country. He made the prime minister the temporary acting president.
Then, protesters entered the president’s home and stayed in the building; they said that they would remain there until the president left his job. Despite the police, other protesters went to the prime minister’s home to also stay there.
The next day, the protestors celebrated after the president quit and the prime minister became the official acting president. The government wanted the prime minister to get the job. Protestors say that they are happy but worried because the new president may also create problems.
Difficult words: temporary (for a short time), acting (work in a job because the original person left), remain (to stay in one place).
You can watch the original video in the Level 3 section.
What do you think about this news?
LEARN 3000 WORDS with NEWS IN LEVELS
News in Levels is designed to teach you 3000 words in English. Please follow the instructions
How to improve your English with News in Levels:
- Do the test at Test Languages.
- Go to your level. Go to Level 1 if you know 1-1000 words. Go to Level 2 if you know 1000-2000 words. Go to Level 3 if you know 2000-3000 words.
- Read two news articles every day.
- Read the news articles from the day before and check if you remember all new words.
- Listen to the news from today and read the text at the same time.
- Listen to the news from today without reading the text.
- Answer the question under today’s news and write the answer in the comments.
- Choose one person from the Skype section.
- Talk with this person. You can answer questions from Speak in Levels.
Stock images by Depositphotos