Sri Lanka’s president resigns – level 3
For months, the Sri Lankan people have suffered from blackouts, intense food and fuel shortages, and rising inflation.
Last week, people protested in huge numbers, and the president Gotabaya Rajapaksa left the capital to the Maldives. He appointed the prime minister Ranil Wickremesinghe as temporary acting president.
Then protesters forcefully entered the president’s residence, jumped in the pool, used the facilities, and occupied the building; one protester said they would stay at the compound until the president resigned. Despite police and tear gas, others went to the prime minister’s residence to also occupy it.
The next day, protestors celebrated after the president resigned and the government made the prime minister the official acting president. Wickremesinghe was the first choice of the government. Some protestors were very happy but others said they were worried because the replacement president was equally problematic.
Difficult words: rising inflation (the situation when money loses its value), appoint (to give a job), occupy (to control a place).
You can watch the video news lower on this page.
What do you think about this news?
LEARN 3000 WORDS with NEWS IN LEVELS
News in Levels is designed to teach you 3000 words in English. Please follow the instructions
How to improve your English with News in Levels:
- Do the test at Test Languages.
- Go to your level. Go to Level 1 if you know 1-1000 words. Go to Level 2 if you know 1000-2000 words. Go to Level 3 if you know 2000-3000 words.
- Read two news articles every day.
- Read the news articles from the day before and check if you remember all new words.
- Listen to the news from today and read the text at the same time.
- Listen to the news from today without reading the text.
- Answer the question under today’s news and write the answer in the comments.
- Choose one person from the Skype section.
- Talk with this person. You can answer questions from Speak in Levels.
Stock images by Depositphotos