Storm in Japan – level 1
Typhoon Hagibis hits Japan. It is a very big storm. It causes a lot of damage. A Japanese news organization says that the typhoon kills at least 49 people. It injures more than 200 people.
Rescuers are looking for survivors. They expect to find more dead people. The storm hits a large area of Japan. Officials help more than 230,000 people get to safety.
The storm brings heavy rain, landslides, and floods. More than 100 rivers overflow. In one city near Tokyo, there is a new Japanese record for the most rainfall in one day.
Difficult words: typhoon (a big storm), landslide (a situation when earth falls from a mountain during heavy rain), overflow (when there is too much water).
You can watch the original video in the Level 3 section.
What do you think about this news?
LEARN 3000 WORDS with NEWS IN LEVELS
News in Levels is designed to teach you 3000 words in English. Please follow the instructions
How to improve your English with News in Levels:
- Do the test at Test Languages.
- Go to your level. Go to Level 1 if you know 1-1000 words. Go to Level 2 if you know 1000-2000 words. Go to Level 3 if you know 2000-3000 words.
- Read two news articles every day.
- Read the news articles from the day before and check if you remember all new words.
- Listen to the news from today and read the text at the same time.
- Listen to the news from today without reading the text.
- Answer the question under today’s news and write the answer in the comments.
- Choose one person from the Skype section.
- Talk with this person. You can answer questions from Speak in Levels.
Stock images by Depositphotos