Storm in the Philippines – level 1
A storm hits the Philippines. It is not strong enough to be called a typhoon. Many people do not get ready for the storm because of this.
However, the storm is big. Seventy-one people die in the storm. Seventeen people are missing. More than 40,000 people are displaced.
This storm is one of a few storms to hit the Philippines recently. Before this storm, there is Super Typhoon Mangkhut. It kills 80 people. Typhoon Yutu kills 17 people.
Difficult words: be missing (if somebody is missing, we do not know if he or she is OK and where he or she is), displace (leave home because of danger), recently (in the last few months, not long ago).
You can watch the original video in the Level 3 section.
What do you think about this news?
LEARN 3000 WORDS with NEWS IN LEVELS
News in Levels is designed to teach you 3000 words in English. Please follow the instructions
How to improve your English with News in Levels:
- Do the test at Test Languages.
- Go to your level. Go to Level 1 if you know 1-1000 words. Go to Level 2 if you know 1000-2000 words. Go to Level 3 if you know 2000-3000 words.
- Read two news articles every day.
- Read the news articles from the day before and check if you remember all new words.
- Listen to the news from today and read the text at the same time.
- Listen to the news from today without reading the text.
- Answer the questions under today’s news and write them in the comments.
- Chat in our Facebook Group for 2 minutes. You can write about today’s news.