Strange Village in Argentina – level 3
Epecuen, which is 549 kilometres southwest of Buenos Aires, Argentina, once was a busy lakeside village renowned for its saltwater baths.
This came to a sudden end in November 1985, though, when the town’s lake overflowed and water surged into the town. Locals and tourists were forced to evacuate and just days later, their homes and buildings were covered by almost 10 metres of salt water.
Now, 30 years on, the village is one of Argentina’s tourist attractions once more; the water has evaporated and former residents can walk through the ruins of what was once their town. It looks like a setting from a zombie apocalypse film.
Difficult words: renowned (known by many people), surge (move suddenly and powerfully), evaporate (turn from liquid into vapour/gas), former (-ex).
You can watch the video news lower on this page.
Would you like to visit the village?
LEARN 3000 WORDS with NEWS IN LEVELS
News in Levels is designed to teach you 3000 words in English. Please follow the instructions
How to improve your English with News in Levels:
- Do the test at Test Languages.
- Go to your level. Go to Level 1 if you know 1-1000 words. Go to Level 2 if you know 1000-2000 words. Go to Level 3 if you know 2000-3000 words.
- Read two news articles every day.
- Read the news articles from the day before and check if you remember all new words.
- Listen to the news from today and read the text at the same time.
- Listen to the news from today without reading the text.
- Answer the question under today’s news and write the answer in the comments.
- Choose one person from the Skype section.
- Talk with this person. You can answer questions from Speak in Levels.
Stock images by Depositphotos