Street Lamps as Charging Points – level 3
In London, a company named Ubitricity is turning street lamps into charging points for electric cars by putting a device that fits inside the existing lamp poles. All an electric car driver needs to do is find a street lamp, park and plug in. The charging points are part of a pilot project in Westminster, London.
A man from the Westminster City Council said that residents will find the charging points wherever they want them, and he hopes that this will encourage more people to buy electric cars. A current electric car owner said that the idea is to make charging as easy as parking.
Also, London’s famous black cab is getting a green makeover with a new hybrid model that will hit the streets later this year.
Difficult words: existing (current), charging point (a place to charge your electronic device), pilot project (a test project), hit the streets (become available for sale).
You can watch the video news lower on this page.
What do you think about this news?
LEARN 3000 WORDS with NEWS IN LEVELS
News in Levels is designed to teach you 3000 words in English. Please follow the instructions
How to improve your English with News in Levels:
- Do the test at Test Languages.
- Go to your level. Go to Level 1 if you know 1-1000 words. Go to Level 2 if you know 1000-2000 words. Go to Level 3 if you know 2000-3000 words.
- Read two news articles every day.
- Read the news articles from the day before and check if you remember all new words.
- Listen to the news from today and read the text at the same time.
- Listen to the news from today without reading the text.
- Answer the question under today’s news and write the answer in the comments.
- Choose one person from the Skype section.
- Talk with this person. You can answer questions from Speak in Levels.
Stock images by Depositphotos