Student is robbed – level 2
A student was on a night out in London. A man asked him for a cigarette and they started chatting. The two walked togther when the man attacked the student.
The man put his arms around the student’s throat, and squeezed it very tightly. The student passed out. The robber stole his £5,000 Rolex watch. The 24-year-old victim fell to the ground. It took him a moment to realise what happened.
Police say that this kind of attack is unusual in the area.
Difficult words: squeeze (press), pass out (stop being able to see, think and move), victim (somebody who is attacked or hurt).
You can read the original story and watch the video in the Level 3 section.
Have you ever been mugged?
LEARN 3000 WORDS with NEWS IN LEVELS
News in Levels is designed to teach you 3000 words in English. Please follow the instructions
How to improve your English with News in Levels:
- Do the test at Test Languages.
- Go to your level. Go to Level 1 if you know 1-1000 words. Go to Level 2 if you know 1000-2000 words. Go to Level 3 if you know 2000-3000 words.
- Read two news articles every day.
- Read the news articles from the day before and check if you remember all new words.
- Listen to the news from today and read the text at the same time.
- Listen to the news from today without reading the text.
- Answer the questions under today’s news and write them in the comments.
- Chat in our Facebook Group for 2 minutes. You can write about today’s news.