Student is robbed – level 3
A student was left unconscious in Central London when a man hugged him to steal his £5,000 Rolex watch from his wrist.
This dramatic CCTV footage shows the moment a man approached the victim, put his arms around his throat and squeezed so tight he passed out.
The 24-year-old fell to the ground and lost consciousness for a few moments before realising what happened.
Police say the student, who was on a night out near Regents Street, got chatting to the man who asked him for a cigarette at around 3:40 am. The pair carried on walking and began talking about martial arts when the hugger mugger attacked the student, ripping off the expensive watch. The Metropolitan Police says this kind of attack is not something it’s seen before in the area and is concerned the victim could have been far more seriously injured.
Difficult words: unconscious (not able to see, move or feel), martial art (sport like judo or karate), mugger (somebody who attacks someone and robs them in a public place).
LEARN 3000 WORDS with NEWS IN LEVELS
News in Levels is designed to teach you 3000 words in English. Please follow the instructions
How to improve your English with News in Levels:
- Do the test at Test Languages.
- Go to your level. Go to Level 1 if you know 1-1000 words. Go to Level 2 if you know 1000-2000 words. Go to Level 3 if you know 2000-3000 words.
- Read two news articles every day.
- Read the news articles from the day before and check if you remember all new words.
- Listen to the news from today and read the text at the same time.
- Listen to the news from today without reading the text.
- Answer the questions under today’s news and write them in the comments.
- Chat in our Facebook Group for 2 minutes. You can write about today’s news.