Sudan Ex-Leader – level 2
Omar al-Bashir was Sudan’s past president. In April, the military took him out of his job because people said that he had done terrible crimes. He is now in trials for several crimes.
Recently, a judge found Bashir guilty of corruption and gave him two years in a reform facility instead of a prison. Sudanese law says that people over 70 do not go to prison if their crimes are not punishable by death. Bashir is 75.
However, Bashir has to stay in a maximum security prison now while the trials happen.
Difficult words: corruption (when a leader or other official do illegal things to get money), reform facility (a nice type of prison where prisoners can learn how to be better people), punishable by death (when a government will kill a guilty person who did a very bad crime), maximum security prison (a prison that is very hard to escape from and has a lot of security).
You can watch the original video in the Level 3 section.
What do you think about this news?
LEARN 3000 WORDS with NEWS IN LEVELS
News in Levels is designed to teach you 3000 words in English. Please follow the instructions
How to improve your English with News in Levels:
- Do the test at Test Languages.
- Go to your level. Go to Level 1 if you know 1-1000 words. Go to Level 2 if you know 1000-2000 words. Go to Level 3 if you know 2000-3000 words.
- Read two news articles every day.
- Read the news articles from the day before and check if you remember all new words.
- Listen to the news from today and read the text at the same time.
- Listen to the news from today without reading the text.
- Answer the question under today’s news and write the answer in the comments.