Swim Around Britain – level 2
Extreme sportsman Ross Edgley is planning to swim around Britain, and he will not touch dry land once.
The swim will be around 2,700 kilometres long and will take him 100 days. He will burn around 1 million calories. Even a thing like eating will be a problem because his tongue and throat can swell up in all that salty water. This condition is called ‘salt mouth’. Ross will have to eat smoothies and protein shakes.
The human body is simply not meant to be in the sea for 100 days. When Ross went for a 48-hour, non-stop swim, he managed to get trench foot. That is a condition when the skin becomes black and dies off.
If all goes well, he will finish in London on the 8th of September.
Difficult words: swell up (become larger, red and painful), condition (a medical problem).
You can watch the original video in the Level 3 section.
What do you think about this news?
LEARN 3000 WORDS with NEWS IN LEVELS
News in Levels is designed to teach you 3000 words in English. Please follow the instructions
How to improve your English with News in Levels:
- Do the test at Test Languages.
- Go to your level. Go to Level 1 if you know 1-1000 words. Go to Level 2 if you know 1000-2000 words. Go to Level 3 if you know 2000-3000 words.
- Read two news articles every day.
- Read the news articles from the day before and check if you remember all new words.
- Listen to the news from today and read the text at the same time.
- Listen to the news from today without reading the text.
- Answer the question under today’s news and write the answer in the comments.
- Choose one person from the Skype section.
- Talk with this person. You can answer questions from Speak in Levels.
Stock images by Depositphotos