Thailand Protests – level 3
Thousands of protesters gathered in Bangkok to condemn police use of tear gas and water cannon jets against to them. Demonstrators gathered outside the national police headquarters, and they sprayed graffiti and splashed paint.
Previously, more than 50 people were injured during the violent clashes with police. A youth-led movement has had regular demonstrations for the past five months, and it was the worst night of violence when live ammunition was used for the first time. Protesters used giant inflatable pool ducks to protect against water cannons that were fired during demonstrations, and the yellow ducks have now become mascots of the movement.
The movement demands change to the constitution and the removal of the prime minister, who seized power in a military coup in 2014, and a reform to the monarchy.
Difficult words: condemn (to say that something is very bad and unacceptable), live ammunition (real weapons), mascot (a person or a thing that is linked to a particular organization or event, reform (a change)).
You can watch the video news lower on this page.
What do you think about this news?
LEARN 3000 WORDS with NEWS IN LEVELS
News in Levels is designed to teach you 3000 words in English. Please follow the instructions
How to improve your English with News in Levels:
- Do the test at Test Languages.
- Go to your level. Go to Level 1 if you know 1-1000 words. Go to Level 2 if you know 1000-2000 words. Go to Level 3 if you know 2000-3000 words.
- Read two news articles every day.
- Read the news articles from the day before and check if you remember all new words.
- Listen to the news from today and read the text at the same time.
- Listen to the news from today without reading the text.
- Answer the question under today’s news and write the answer in the comments.