The first Olympic Games – level 1
The first modern Olympic Games start on April 6, 1896. They take place in Athens, Greece.
The Games are 10 days long. 241 athletes are there. The athletes come from 13 European countries. One team is from the US. There are 43 different sporting events.
James Connolly is the first winner. He comes from the US. He wins the triple jump. He gets a silver medal.
Winners in the first Olympics get a silver medal. The rule changes later. All winners get a gold medal.
The first Olympic Games are the biggest sporting event in history. They are very successful. The next Olympic Games in Greece happen in Summer 2004.
Difficult words: modern (something what happens or belongs to the present time), event (something special what happens and many people come and watch it), triple jump (an event when somebody jumps as far as he can, and he touches the ground with each foot).
You can watch the original video in the Level 3 section.
What do you think about this news?
LEARN 3000 WORDS with NEWS IN LEVELS
News in Levels is designed to teach you 3000 words in English. Please follow the instructions
How to improve your English with News in Levels:
- Do the test at Test Languages.
- Go to your level. Go to Level 1 if you know 1-1000 words. Go to Level 2 if you know 1000-2000 words. Go to Level 3 if you know 2000-3000 words.
- Read two news articles every day.
- Read the news articles from the day before and check if you remember all new words.
- Listen to the news from today and read the text at the same time.
- Listen to the news from today without reading the text.
- Answer the question under today’s news and write the answer in the comments.
- Choose one person from the Skype section.
- Talk with this person. You can answer questions from Speak in Levels.
Stock images by Depositphotos