The most expensive cities in the world – level 2
Singapore and Zurich are now more expensive than New York, according to the EIU Index.
The index analyzes prices for things goods and services in 173 world cities globally, for example, transport, rent, food, and alcohol. Geneva, New York, and Hong Kong are among the top five most expensive cities. Global prices increased by 7.4%, which was a little less than in the previous year. Food prices continued to rise, while strong demand for traveling after the pandemic meant an increase in transport prices.
In 2024, experts expect higher interest rates, less business activity, and consumer demand.
You can watch the original video in the Level 3 section.
What factors contributed to the increase in global prices and which cities were among the top five most expensive in 2023 according to the EIU Index?
LEARN 3000 WORDS with NEWS IN LEVELS
News in Levels is designed to teach you 3000 words in English. Please follow the instructions
How to improve your English with News in Levels:
- Do the test at Test Languages.
- Go to your level. Go to Level 1 if you know 1-1000 words. Go to Level 2 if you know 1000-2000 words. Go to Level 3 if you know 2000-3000 words.
- Read two news articles every day.
- Read the news articles from the day before and check if you remember all new words.
- Listen to the news from today and read the text at the same time.
- Listen to the news from today without reading the text.
- Answer the question under today’s news and write the answer in the comments.