The oldest aquarium fish – level 1
Methuselah is a fish. It lives in an aquarium in San Francisco, US. Methuselah is the name of a very old person in the Bible.
This fish is around 90 years old. Scientists say that it is the oldest aquarium fish in the world. They bring it from Australia to the US in 1938. The fish is 1.2 meters long. It weighs around 18 kilograms. It eats other fish.
The fish has both lungs and gills. There are few of this fish in the sea. Scientists say that it is the animal between fish and amphibians. An amphibian is an animal which lives on land and in water, too. For example, it is a frog.
Difficult words: aquarium (a glass container in which fish and other animals live, and people have it in homes), lung (one of two body parts with which people and other animals breathe), gill (a body part with which fish breathe).
You can watch the original video in the Level 3 section.
What do you think about this news?
LEARN 3000 WORDS with NEWS IN LEVELS
News in Levels is designed to teach you 3000 words in English. Please follow the instructions
How to improve your English with News in Levels:
- Do the test at Test Languages.
- Go to your level. Go to Level 1 if you know 1-1000 words. Go to Level 2 if you know 1000-2000 words. Go to Level 3 if you know 2000-3000 words.
- Read two news articles every day.
- Read the news articles from the day before and check if you remember all new words.
- Listen to the news from today and read the text at the same time.
- Listen to the news from today without reading the text.
- Answer the question under today’s news and write the answer in the comments.