The richest singer in the world – level 3
A US business magazine Forbes annually produces a list of the world’s richest people. According to Forbes, Barbados-born singer Rihanna is now worth 1.7 billion dollars, making her the wealthiest female musician in the world.
However, it is not Rihanna’s music that’s made her so wealthy. Forbes estimates that 80% of her fortune comes from the value of Fenty Beauty, a 50-50 joint venture with French luxury goods brand LVMH. It was launched in 2017, and it’s run by the world’s second richest person, Bernard Arnault. The rest lies in Rihanna’s stake in her lingerie company Savage x Fenty, worth an estimated 270 million dollars, and her earnings from a lucrative music and acting career.
However, not everything that Rihanna touches turns into gold. In February, the singer confirmed that they had shut down their other business, a high-end fashion and accessories business that was launched in 2019. However, like many luxury fashion brands, the high-priced line suffered during the pandemic, releasing its last collection in November 2020.
Difficult words: joint venture (a business created by two or more people or groups who share its ownership), stake (when someone invests money in a business), lucrative (very profitable), everything you touch turns into gold (you make a lot of money easily).
You can watch the video news lower on this page.
What do you think about this news?
LEARN 3000 WORDS with NEWS IN LEVELS
News in Levels is designed to teach you 3000 words in English. Please follow the instructions
How to improve your English with News in Levels:
- Do the test at Test Languages.
- Go to your level. Go to Level 1 if you know 1-1000 words. Go to Level 2 if you know 1000-2000 words. Go to Level 3 if you know 2000-3000 words.
- Read two news articles every day.
- Read the news articles from the day before and check if you remember all new words.
- Listen to the news from today and read the text at the same time.
- Listen to the news from today without reading the text.
- Answer the question under today’s news and write the answer in the comments.