The Titan accident – level 2
The Titan submersible collapsed near the Titanic. The accident caused the death of all five people on board.
US officials confirmed the incident and expressed sympathy to the families of the explorers. Coast Guard teams found two areas with scattered pieces of the submersible, such as the front part and the chamber for air pressure. The collapse was not related to the strange noises which rescuers heard earlier. Filmmaker James Cameron was part of the project, too. He shared suggested that a powerful event caused the collapse.
The families of the victims thanked the search and rescue teams. It is unclear if rescuers can recover the bodies. The company which operated the submersible may face legal charges.
Difficult words: submersible (a small boat or other craft which explores the ocean), explorer (a person who travels to places where no one was before), victim (a person who dies or is hurt in an accident).
You can watch the original video in the Level 3 section.
What was the cause of the submersible collapse according to James Cameron?
LEARN 3000 WORDS with NEWS IN LEVELS
News in Levels is designed to teach you 3000 words in English. Please follow the instructions
How to improve your English with News in Levels:
- Do the test at Test Languages.
- Go to your level. Go to Level 1 if you know 1-1000 words. Go to Level 2 if you know 1000-2000 words. Go to Level 3 if you know 2000-3000 words.
- Read two news articles every day.
- Read the news articles from the day before and check if you remember all new words.
- Listen to the news from today and read the text at the same time.
- Listen to the news from today without reading the text.
- Answer the question under today’s news and write the answer in the comments.