Three Kings’ Day – level 1
Epiphany is the 12th day of Christmas. People also call it Three Kings’ Day. It is the final day of Christmas.
There is a ceremony in Istanbul. It is an Orthodox Christian ceremony. The Patriarch throws a wooden cross into water. Men then jump into the water. They swim to the cross. They all try to get there first. The Patriarch gives a necklace to the first man.
This tradition is 1,000 years old. It is a symbol of Jesus’ baptism. There is a similar ceremony in Athens, too.
Difficult words: Orthodox Christian (for Orthodox Christians – Christians in Greece and Russia who do not have the Pope as the leader), Patriarch (the leader of Orthodox Christians), baptism (a Christian ceremony).
You can watch the original video in the Level 3 section.
What do you think about this news?
LEARN 3000 WORDS with NEWS IN LEVELS
News in Levels is designed to teach you 3000 words in English. Please follow the instructions
How to improve your English with News in Levels:
- Do the test at Test Languages.
- Go to your level. Go to Level 1 if you know 1-1000 words. Go to Level 2 if you know 1000-2000 words. Go to Level 3 if you know 2000-3000 words.
- Read two news articles every day.
- Read the news articles from the day before and check if you remember all new words.
- Listen to the news from today and read the text at the same time.
- Listen to the news from today without reading the text.
- Answer the question under today’s news and write the answer in the comments.