Three Kings’ Day – level 2
Epiphany, or Three Kings’ Day, is the 12th day of Christmas. The 6th of January marks the end of Christmas for many Christians.
The leader of Orthodox Christians led a ceremony in Istanbul. He threw a wooden cross into the water. Men then jumped into the water to get it. The first man to hold the cross received a necklace.
This ceremony is called the Blessing of the Water. It symbolises the baptism of Jesus and is 1,000 years old. A similar ceremony also happened in Athens.
You can watch the original video in the Level 3 section.
What do you think about this news?
LEARN 3000 WORDS with NEWS IN LEVELS
News in Levels is designed to teach you 3000 words in English. Please follow the instructions
How to improve your English with News in Levels:
- Do the test at Test Languages.
- Go to your level. Go to Level 1 if you know 1-1000 words. Go to Level 2 if you know 1000-2000 words. Go to Level 3 if you know 2000-3000 words.
- Read two news articles every day.
- Read the news articles from the day before and check if you remember all new words.
- Listen to the news from today and read the text at the same time.
- Listen to the news from today without reading the text.
- Answer the question under today’s news and write the answer in the comments.