Thwaites Glacier – level 1
The Thwaites Glacier is in Antarctica. A glacier is a large amount of snow. It moves slowly like a river. The Thwaites Glacier is as big as Florida, USA.
The glacier is a part of an ice shelf. In the next ten years, scientists say that the shelf will break. In the future, this means that the glacier will break, too.
Scientists do not know when it will happen. It can happen in hundreds of years. When it happens, the sea will rise by 60 centimeters on all our planet.
Still, it can happen much sooner. There is water under the glacier. Last year, scientists learn that the water is too warm. It is bad for the glacier. Warm water destroys it.
You can watch the original video in the Level 3 section.
What do you think about this news?
LEARN 3000 WORDS with NEWS IN LEVELS
News in Levels is designed to teach you 3000 words in English. Please follow the instructions
How to improve your English with News in Levels:
- Do the test at Test Languages.
- Go to your level. Go to Level 1 if you know 1-1000 words. Go to Level 2 if you know 1000-2000 words. Go to Level 3 if you know 2000-3000 words.
- Read two news articles every day.
- Read the news articles from the day before and check if you remember all new words.
- Listen to the news from today and read the text at the same time.
- Listen to the news from today without reading the text.
- Answer the question under today’s news and write the answer in the comments.