Thwaites Glacier – level 2
The Thwaites Glacier is in Antarctica, and it is as big as Florida, USA. Last week, scientists warned that it could break into pieces, which would be a world disaster.
The Thwaites Ice Shelf supports the glacier, and scientists believe that it will break within 5 to 7 years. This means that the glacier will completely break in the future, too.
Scientists are not sure when exactly it will happen. It can take hundreds of years, but it can be much sooner. Scientists worry a lot because when it happens, the sea level will rise by about 60 centimeters on the whole planet.
In 2020, scientists learned that water under the glacier was two degrees above zero. This warm water causes the glacier to erode faster, and that reason is why scientists are afraid of what will happen in the future. It is clear that the sea water temperature will rise in the future, too, and this can make the glacier erode even faster.
You can watch the original video in the Level 3 section.
What do you think about this news?
LEARN 3000 WORDS with NEWS IN LEVELS
News in Levels is designed to teach you 3000 words in English. Please follow the instructions
How to improve your English with News in Levels:
- Do the test at Test Languages.
- Go to your level. Go to Level 1 if you know 1-1000 words. Go to Level 2 if you know 1000-2000 words. Go to Level 3 if you know 2000-3000 words.
- Read two news articles every day.
- Read the news articles from the day before and check if you remember all new words.
- Listen to the news from today and read the text at the same time.
- Listen to the news from today without reading the text.
- Answer the question under today’s news and write the answer in the comments.