Tobacco Children in Indonesia – level 1
Indonesia is the 5th biggest producer of tobacco. Children younger than 15 must not work in Indonesia. It is illegal. However, around 1.5 children work in agriculture. Thousands work on tobacco plantations.
Many have “green tobacco sickness”. They get weak. They get headaches. They cannot go to school. They help their families make money. They make only one dollar a day.
Human rights groups are trying to change this. They talk to big Indonesian tobacco companies.
Difficult words: agriculture (farming), plantation (a big farm that grows a plant that makes money like coffee or tobacco), weak (not strong).
You can watch the original video in the Level 3 section.
What do you think about this news?
LEARN 3000 WORDS with NEWS IN LEVELS
News in Levels is designed to teach you 3000 words in English. Please follow the instructions
How to improve your English with News in Levels:
- Do the test at Test Languages.
- Go to your level. Go to Level 1 if you know 1-1000 words. Go to Level 2 if you know 1000-2000 words. Go to Level 3 if you know 2000-3000 words.
- Read two news articles every day.
- Read the news articles from the day before and check if you remember all new words.
- Listen to the news from today and read the text at the same time.
- Listen to the news from today without reading the text.
- Answer the question under today’s news and write the answer in the comments.
- Choose one person from the Skype section.
- Talk with this person. You can answer questions from Speak in Levels.
Stock images by Depositphotos