Too many mice in Australia – level 2
Millions of mice are destroying crops in Australia´s New South Wales.
Recently, Australia had big problems with wildfires, floods and dry weather, which brought many problems to farmers across the country. Now, another problem came, which could bring a big crisis to New South Wales.
Australia needs to do something very quickly. The government ordered 5,000 liters of a dangerous chemical called Bromadiolone from India. The chemical is illegal in Australia, and the government must change the law quickly. Then, it will be possible to use the chemical.
Some people are not happy with the idea, and they say that the chemical will kill not only mice but other animals, too.
Difficult words: crop (a plant which farmers grow), flood (when water from a river or rain gets out of the river and goes into homes or businesses), crisis (a very difficult or dangerous situation which lasts for a longer time).
You can watch the original video in the Level 3 section.
What do you think about this news?
LEARN 3000 WORDS with NEWS IN LEVELS
News in Levels is designed to teach you 3000 words in English. Please follow the instructions
How to improve your English with News in Levels:
- Do the test at Test Languages.
- Go to your level. Go to Level 1 if you know 1-1000 words. Go to Level 2 if you know 1000-2000 words. Go to Level 3 if you know 2000-3000 words.
- Read two news articles every day.
- Read the news articles from the day before and check if you remember all new words.
- Listen to the news from today and read the text at the same time.
- Listen to the news from today without reading the text.
- Answer the question under today’s news and write the answer in the comments.