Too Much Sugar in Bread – level 2
Subway is a US restaurant chain that sells mainly sandwiches and salads. Last week, a court in Ireland decided that there was too much sugar in Subway´s bread.
In Ireland, bread belongs to food with 0% tax. However, according to Irish law, bread must have less than 2% of sugar of the weight of flour in it. In Subway´s bread is 10% of sugar, which means that it is legally not bread, and it belongs to the same group of products as cookies. Subway´s 6-inch white bread has as much sugar as an Oreo cookie.
In 2018, Subway closed more than 1,000 restaurants in the US. Some customers started to ask for healthier food; however, Subway was not able to react to the demand.
Difficult words: tax (a money that goes to the state when someone buys or sells something), flour (a white or brown powder that people use to make bread, cakes, and pastry), demand (what people want).
You can watch the original video in the Level 3 section.
What do you think about this news?
LEARN 3000 WORDS with NEWS IN LEVELS
News in Levels is designed to teach you 3000 words in English. Please follow the instructions
How to improve your English with News in Levels:
- Do the test at Test Languages.
- Go to your level. Go to Level 1 if you know 1-1000 words. Go to Level 2 if you know 1000-2000 words. Go to Level 3 if you know 2000-3000 words.
- Read two news articles every day.
- Read the news articles from the day before and check if you remember all new words.
- Listen to the news from today and read the text at the same time.
- Listen to the news from today without reading the text.
- Answer the question under today’s news and write the answer in the comments.