Top US judge gets expensive gifts – level 2
Democratic US Representative Alexandria Ocasio-Cortez wants to impeach Supreme Court Justice Clarence Thomas and investigate his advisers. There are reports that Thomas took luxury trips over decades which funded a Republican donor.
Media reported that Thomas accepted expensive trips from real estate magnate Harlan Crow. According to federal law, Thomas has to disclose most gifts, but he defends the trips. He claims that he did not need to report the gifts and that he always followed all rules.
Ocasio-Cortez said that progress was unlikely because the House of Representatives has a Republican majority that would not want to take action against a conservative justice.
Difficult words: impeach (to formally say that a public official does something bad in their job), magnate (a rich business person), disclose (to say new or secret information).
You can watch the original video in the Level 3 section.
What actions could the House of Representatives take to hold Justice Clarence Thomas accountable for his alleged misuse of power?
LEARN 3000 WORDS with NEWS IN LEVELS
News in Levels is designed to teach you 3000 words in English. Please follow the instructions
How to improve your English with News in Levels:
- Do the test at Test Languages.
- Go to your level. Go to Level 1 if you know 1-1000 words. Go to Level 2 if you know 1000-2000 words. Go to Level 3 if you know 2000-3000 words.
- Read two news articles every day.
- Read the news articles from the day before and check if you remember all new words.
- Listen to the news from today and read the text at the same time.
- Listen to the news from today without reading the text.
- Answer the question under today’s news and write the answer in the comments.
- Choose one person from the Skype section.
- Talk with this person. You can answer questions from Speak in Levels.
Stock images by Depositphotos